FAQ vs. Immediate Answer?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Wed Jan 15 10:30:03 PST 2003

On 15 Jan 2003, Ken Dyke wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 09:30, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> > Misunderstood?
>
> No, I understood your question just fine.
> However, I think you missed my point.  Since it is considered an insult
> to the community to ask a FAQ it seems only reasonable to point this out
> by directing the offending party to the FAQ.

Yes, and I heartily encourage that behaviour.

> If an individual answers a FAQ question rather then simply saying "read
> the FAQ" they too, are wasting bandwidth and man-hours of the
> community.  Additionally, their answer may not be quite correct/tested
> or explain as well as the appropriate section of the FAQ.  In this
> latter case there would be an added burden put upon the community to
> correct this mis-information.

Also valid.

And I also had considered all these issues. But it has not, in the past
year, been the *common* behaviour for for only a reference to be given.
Some did only that, with varying degrees of rudness or politeness, and
others had just given answers and some had done both.

In that light, my OP was to bring to light my concern that a reply to a
FAQ *may* have inappropriately condemned an individual who has helped
over a long period of time may cease being helpful.

> In regards to your seeming desire for the community to lay down rigid
> rules of behavior, if that is the type of community you desire go join
> the military or something.  :-)

If you will review my posts, I believe that you will see that I am,
indeed, arguing for more flexibility. I suggest that it is up to the
responder, currently, to a) reference only, b) reply only, or c) do
both. I am only suggesting that *before* one criticizes any of those
behaviours, the behaviour should be considered bad-form in some
substantial common consideration _in_this_community.

As to your snide remark, I forgive you because you are, after all,
probably on *engineer*. :-)))

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com