FAQ vs. Immediate Answer?

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Wed Jan 15 10:43:50 PST 2003

Bill's LFS Login <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:

> [....]
>
>     >From sk at sethwklein.net Wed Jan 15 07:31:25 2003
>     Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
>     >
>     > 1.  Please post this to blfs-support.
>     > 2.  When starting a new request, do NOT reply to another message
>     > and change the header.  It attaches your message to the wrong
>     > thread.
>
>     Please don't post answers that are in the FAQ. Please post references
>     to the FAQ instead. In this case the relevent entries are:
>
>     [....]
>
> [....]
>
> Second, in past threads dealing with common courtesy, when certain
> individuals posted *only* references to applicable documentation, they
> have been chided by others that they should have also provided the
> answer at that time. [....]

I overstated above.

If Bruce had mentioned the FAQ at all, even without the recommanded
faq.html#question link, i would not have posted.

The part of your post, Bill, that i snipped sounded as if i was
issuing an ultimatim. I don't think it is appropriate or necessary
to have an ultimatim on this subject. I was simply reminding Bruce
as i have in the past had to remind many people including many high
"ranking" LFS people.

It is my practice and general recommendation to post the url and
a one line type summary unless there is an unusual reason to force
the "asker" to actually visit the FAQ. That extra line has a much
friendlier tone and is less likely to set off the "you were rude
to a stupid newbie" police. (I say stupid newbie because there are
smart newbies.)

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org