FAQ vs. Immediate Answer?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Wed Jan 15 11:05:14 PST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Seth W.Klein wrote:

> Bill's LFS Login <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:
> >
> > [....]
> >
> >     >From sk at sethwklein.net Wed Jan 15 07:31:25 2003
> >     Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
> >     >
> >     ><snip>

> >     Please don't post answers that are in the FAQ. Please post references
> >     to the FAQ instead. In this case the relevent entries are:
> ><snip>

> > Second, in past threads dealing with common courtesy, when certain
> > individuals posted *only* references to applicable documentation, they
> > have been chided by others that they should have also provided the
> > answer at that time. [....]
>
> I overstated above.
>
> If Bruce had mentioned the FAQ at all, even without the recommanded
> faq.html#question link, i would not have posted.
>
> The part of your post, Bill, that i snipped sounded as if i was
> issuing an ultimatim. I don't think it is appropriate or necessary
> to have an ultimatim on this subject. I was simply reminding Bruce
> as i have in the past had to remind many people including many high
> "ranking" LFS people.

Ranking? Watch out - someone will ask you to join the military!  ;0

But seriously, mea culpa. Knowing how difficult it is to get folks to
read the FAQ that I know you work so hard to maintain, I sort of figured
maybe you had decided to try a "more forceful" approach.

My humble apologies for my assumptions and the associated implied
aspersions.

> It is my practice and general recommendation to post the url and
> a one line type summary unless there is an unusual reason to force
> the "asker" to actually visit the FAQ. That extra line has a much
> friendlier tone and is less likely to set off the "you were rude
> to a stupid newbie" police. (I say stupid newbie because there are
> smart newbies.)

Absolutely in agreement about the "softening" added by the extra line.
And, of course, you know by word and deed I agree with the constant
encouragement to use available docs.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com