doc question

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 15 12:03:13 PST 2003

On January 15, 2003 12:32 pm, David Barron wrote:
> Since program and library files and dependencies are listed in the
> Appendix, is there a particular reason why they are also listed in Chapter
> 5 and 6?  Also, it seems to me the listing of which files to download

Easier access to info. While a package is building you can read what you are
actually installing.

But, this is being changed, see the CVS book (about a third is done already).
Now all you see in chapters 5 and 6 are what is installed but not an in-depth
description of what everything does. The dependencies are still listed and
there is a different installation format. Go read
www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/ and browse through chapter 5.

> should also be in the Appendix, instead of in Chapter 4.

No, the book is to be read in a sequential manner. You can't do anything until
you download all the packges, so we need to put that in a chapter.
Alternatively it could be put on the package's installation page, but we feel
its better you get a full list before doing anything. This way you can
download everything you need, then work on installing LFS, which may very
well be on a non-Internet capable Linux machine for all we know.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org