Version number of next LFS release

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 15 14:34:03 PST 2003

Hi guys,

There's been some disagreement between me and Jesse what version to attach to
the next LFS version. It's either going to be 4.1 or 5.0

My reasoning to having chosen 5.0 is that there have been some major changes,
most notably in the Glibc field. If the next book were to be called 4.1, it
would imply small changes were made but you could install all the new
software and be done with it.

However, this'll bite people in the back and make all their static binaries
useless unless they do the second Glibc installation with the patch, or
something like that. But that'd be deviating from the book.

Calling it 5.0 just shows it's a major release, you can't just upgrade and
expect it to work. A install from scratch is recommended. A major version
increase conveys that better than a point release.

If anybody has some very good reasoning not to go with 5.0 but to call it 4.1
let me know and I _might_ reconsider.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org