coreutils release anytime soon?

Jack Brown jbrown at kmts.ca
Wed Jan 15 15:28:32 PST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:11:04 -0600, Steve Martin wrote:

> On 15 January 2003 18:21 Seth W.Klein did write:
>> "Steve Martin" <smartie at netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:
> / snip
>>
>> > There would also be less mv commands if --prefix was set to / instead
>> > of /usr.
>>
>> But there would be more configure switches because you have to set
>> --mandir, --infodir, and perhaps others.
>>
> True, thing is I set them all the time anyway 'cos I don't like the
> symlink from man to share/man.  You could try:
>
> 	./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin
>
> now that'd save some mv instructions.

> Couldn't think of anything witty to write here.

personally I've been using "--prefix=/usr --exec-dir=" that way includes,
man's, info's, share's etc go into /usr and lib's, bin and bins go into
/.

what would be nice is if more packages would offer a --with-root-prefix=
like e2fsprogs does so that things like the bin directory could be split
between / and /usr based on the FHS.

Jack
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org