current cvs chap 5 & chap 6 typos

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Sat Jan 18 10:38:27 PST 2003

Following the stirling work done by Timothy, Billy & Gerard on
converting chapters 5 & 6 to the new XML model I thought I'd rip it to
shreds^H^H^H perform some QA on it :)

Please note that these comments are strictly my opinion only, so feel
free to ignore any suggestions or raise further questions as you see
fit.

Chapter 5.

1) Setting up the environment: "...so newly created files will and
directories will have the correct permissions." ->  "...so newly created
files and directories will have the correct permissions."
2) Bash: "The bash program reads from standard input, the keyboard" ->
"The bash program reads from standard input (the keyboard)."
3) Bash: "we will reinstall Bash in Chapter 6 anyways" -> "we will
reinstall Bash in Chapter 6 anyway"
4) Binutils: "Binutils is best left alone" - remove.  This sentence is
IMHO superfluous, it adds nothing to the value of that paragraph.
    (incidentally can bugs #45, #83 &  #175 now be closed as they
correspond to package updates that seem to be completed now?).
5) GCC: "GCC is best left alone" - remove. This sentence is IMHO
superfluous, it adds nothing to the value of that paragraph.

Chapter 6.

1) Creating Directories: "The first mode change ensures that not just
everybody" -> "The first mode change ensures that not just anybody".
2) Creating Directories: "move the source tarballs that were downloaded
in Chapter 3 to some subdirectory under /usr/src" - under but where they
downloaded the tarballs may not be available anymore, since we are now
in the chroot environment.  Does this instruction not need to be put in
chapter 5 instead of (or as well as) here?  Or is this part of the "not
hand-holding newbies as much" policy?
3) Creating the Password and Group Files: "Besides the group "root", the
LSB recommends" - we linked to the FHS under the "Creating Directories"
section, does the LSB not deserve a link (or at least an unabbreviated
name)?
4) Glibc: "Glibc is best left alone" - remove. This sentence is IMHO
superfluous, it adds nothing to the value of that paragraph.
5) GCC: "GCC is best left alone" - remove. This sentence is IMHO
superfluous, it adds nothing to the value of that paragraph.
6) GCC: "but it compiles GCC a multiple times" -> "but it compiles GCC
multiple times"
7) Zlib: "Finish installing shared library" -> "Finish installing the
shared library"
8) Flex: "There are which packages expect to find" -> "There are
packages which expect to find"
9) Binutils: "Binutils is best left alone" - remove. This sentence is
IMHO superfluous, it adds nothing to the value of that paragraph.
10) net-tools: "One of the things net-tools replaces is sh-utils's
version of /bin/hostname" - but the current instructions for sh-utils
suppress this binary from being compiled hence it can't be replaced.
11) Perl: "The Perl package contains perl, the Practical Extraction and
Report Language." -> "The Perl package contains utilities for
programming and interpreting perl (Practical Extraction and Report
Language) scripts. (suggested change is only IMHO of course).
12) Bash: "The bash program reads from standard input, the keyboard" ->
"The bash program reads from standard input (the keyboard)."
13) Libtool: The version in the title reads 1.4.3, yet the patch for
1.4.2 is still being applied.  Does it still need to be applied, or does
the file just need renaming? (see related bug #143)
14) Bin86: "Bin86 is a simple assember" -> "Bin86 is a simple assembler"
15) Man: "Last checked against version 1.5i2." -> "Last checked against
version 1.5i."
16) Psmisc: "Prepare Psmic to be compiled:" -> "Prepare Psmisc to be
compiled:"
17) util-linux: "To make hwclock, which is part of the util-linux
package, FHS-compliant, run the following" -> "To make hwclock
FHS-compliant, run the following" (it seems obvious to me that hwclock
is part of the util-linux package, because a) this instruction
wouldn't/shouldn't be on this page otherwise and b) it's mentioned in
the list of program files.
18) Glibc (re-install): "Everything we need to install the Glibc
linuxthread man pages is present now, so we'll take care of this too
now" -> "Now that everything needed by the Glibc linuxthread man pages
present, we can install them at this point." (I didn't like the "too
now" ending in the original, not sure what it should really be reworded
to though).
19) Glibc (re-install): "Glibc is best left alone" - remove. This
sentence is IMHO superfluous, it adds nothing to the value of that
paragraph.
20) Configuring essential software: "...that programs that need to
verify passwords " -> "...programs that need to verify passwords".

Regards,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org