How to accelerate the compilation

Simon Comeau Martel martelsc at videotron.ca
Sun Jan 19 14:29:29 PST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:11:39 -0700

> On January 18, 2003 05:08 pm, Simon Comeau Martel wrote:
> > I'm not sure to follow you...  Are you talking about the Mosix filesystem
> > or about nfs?  If the problem is the first one, you dont have tu use it.
> > If the problem is elsewere, can you tell me where I can read about it?
>
> I was under the impression you did have to use it. Even if not, with mosix all
> systems have to use the same filesystem right? So every node would have to
> NFS mount, or somehow mount the master server's partition and you'd launch a
> compile on that. Unless I'm mistaken, so do correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I installed Mosix  3 days ago, to accelerate compilation on my P100, and it work well...  And I have no file system sharing at all.  To transfert tarballs from a box to an other, I use netcat.  There is an option for the Mosix File System in the kernel patch, but you dont have to activate it... (It is an Beta phase...)

 CONFIG_MOSIX_FS:                                                        x
  x                                                                         x
  x The MOSIX File-System (MFS) is now ready for Beta-testing.              x
  x Along with DFSA, it forms the basis for the next generation             x
  x of MOSIX, expanding the power of MOSIX beyond CPU-bound tasks           x
  x into I/O tasks as well.                                                 x
  x                                                                         x
  x On its own, MFS allows processes to access most files (more accurately, x
  x all regular files, directories and symbolic-links, but excluding the    x
  x "/proc" file-system and MFS itself) on all the nodes in the cluster.    x
  x                                                                         x
  x MFS assumes that all users/group-ID's throughout the cluster are        x
  x equivalent: if this is not the case, you cannot use MFS, so you must    x
  x say 'N' here, unless you have a sub-cluster where the user/group-ID's   x
  x are equivalent, in which case you may still choose to configure MFS     x
  x only in that sub-cluster.

You only have to patch the kernel, recompile it, install the Mosix tools, and write a /etc/mosix.map file to list all the nodes.  Do that on all your box, and reboot with the new kernel.

--
Simon Comeau Martel
martelsc at videotron.ca
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org