Cross linking our Ch5 build against a new glibc

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Sun Jan 19 15:03:16 PST 2003

> > - newer binutils (i'm using binutils-2.13.90.0.16) contain a new switch
> >   --with-lib-path which allows you to set the default value for
LIB_PATH
> >   thus no need for the messy sed
>
> I'll have to look at it, if the ldscripts get fixed up as well
> even better
> ie, if LIB_PATH is now passed to genscripts.sh,
> at the present (2.13) it isnt, hence the present hack to pass
> LIB_PATH environment var to GENSCRIPTS.

Excellent, looks like the hacks for binutils aren't needed anymore to build
the cross-linker for building Chapter 5 against a new glibc

>From binutils-2.13.90.0.16/ld/Changelog

2002-08-20 Dan Kegel

      * configure.in: added --with-lib-path argument to ld's configure
      to set LIB_PATH.
      * ld/NEWS: Document new switch.
      * ld/README: Mention new switch.
      * configure: Regenerate.
      * Makefile.in: Regenerate.

      Based on this patch:
      2001-04-25  Christopher Faylor

      * Makefile.in (LIB_PATH): Make configurable.
      (GENSCRIPTS): Set LIB_PATH in environment.
      * configure.in: Substitute LIB_PATH.

>From binutils-2.13.90.0.16/ld/Makefile.in
# These all start with e so 'make clean' can find them.

GENSCRIPTS = LIB_PATH='${LIB_PATH}' $(SHELL) $(srcdir)/genscripts.sh
${srcdir} ${libdir} "${exec_prefix}" @host@ @target@ @target_alias@ "
@EMULATION_LIBPATH@" "@NATIVE_LIB_DIRS@"
GEN_DEPENDS = $(srcdir)/genscripts.sh stringify.sed

Note LIB_PATH is now set in GENSCRIPTS (woohoo :-) )

So Greg, you are absolutely correct, to build a cross linker all we have to
do is specify --with-lib-path during configure :-)

This makes life nice and easy, just leaves us with the hack to modify
--dynamic-linker in gcc

Regards
Ryan Oliver

Peter Harding and Associates Pty. Ltd.