Ch6 gcc: Don't run fixincludes [Fwd from blfs-support: Re: openssl-0.9.7 and openssh-3.5p1]

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 22 17:16:32 PST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:13:11 +0000, Greg Schafer wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 05:52:23PM -0600, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>> I think it would be a good idea to use "*make install-no-fixedincludes"
>> instead of "make install" during Chapter 6 gcc installation.*
>
> I agree, but not for the example you quoted.
>
> LFS Ch 6 gcc is installed before any third party libs like openssl therefore
> the fixincludes process doesn't get the chance to "fix" the openssl headers.
> It would only become an issue if gcc gets reinstalled at a later date (when
> all the 3rd party libs are already installed).
>
> Sidenote Rant:
> It annoys me that on a brand new LFS using all the latest packages,
> fixincludes tries to "fix" what it thinks are broken headers. Why are they
> broken? Should someone knowledgable look at the affected headers and see if
> the fixes are correct then submit bugs upstream? If the headers are not
> broken then should bugs be submitted to the fixincludes maintainer? Any
> volunteers?
>
> Greg

I don't understand all these side effects, but here is a little input.
Check out the README at /usr/lib/{system}/3.2.1/include.

In my case, fix includes "fixed" openssl/bn.h and kept a copy (not sure if
original or fixed) at the above location. Well, OpenSSH found the copy and
exits with an unresolved symbol.  Remove the copy, solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org