Fixincludes - some analysis

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sat Jan 25 07:48:53 PST 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 07:30:38PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>>Greg Schafer wrote:
>>

>>>Sidenote: I don't understand at all why /usr/local/include comes first in
>>>the search path. This seems very counter-intuitive to me. The gcc page at:-
>>>http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html   contains some commentary on why
>>>this is so but I still don't get it.
>>>

>>Its there so a programmer can easily override a default header file by
>>merely putting an updated one in /usr/local/lib.  Otherwise the path
>>would have to be explicitly defined every time or the actual header in
>>/usr/lib changed.
>>

>I thought that was what -I was for :/

Yes it is.  Also, the default prefix for autoconf is /usr/local.  If
someone does a simple configure && make && make install, any libraries
are installed in /usr/local/lib by default.  With the rules as they are,
those libraries will have precedence over /usr/lib.  That makes sense to me.

I really don't have a problem with this.  You just have to know the rules.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org