bzip2 makefile patch

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Jan 25 17:48:12 PST 2003

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Craig Hurley wrote:

> Suffering extreme bordom I desided to see if I could clean up the bzip2
> Makefile to make and install the lfs way.  It adds 2 new make commands
>
> 	shared-all: makes all the file that will be installed (static and shared)
>
> 	shared-install: installs above cutting out duplicates and groups make cmds by
> directory.
>
> And adds 2 new varriables to get the task done  right ROOT and MAN_DIR (bzip2
> is one of those dirty pkgs that installs in /usr/man).
>
> Unsure if anyone would be interested but it cuts bzip2 install from 10 lines
> to:
> 	patch -Np1 -i ../bzip2-1.0.2-makefilefixes.patch &&
> 	make shared-all &&
> 	make shared-install
>
> (cutting out all that educational value)
> This being my first unwarantied patch USER CAUTION!!!!

 I'd be sorry to lose the educational value, particularly since most
LFS'ers supposedly don't read the patches.  What is your intention with
this ?  The book is educational in bzip2 and the patch isn't _required_,
but it looks a bit invasive to be offered to the package maintainer.

 If you were offering it to the maintainer, there might be an issue with
symlinks - not every 'nix supports them, and you seem to be inconsistent
- bunzip2 and bzcat are symlinks, but bzegrep and bzfgrep are hard
links.  Also, i'm not sure why you chmod a+x for bunzip2 and bzcat -
does this do anything when the file is a symlink ?

 Anyway, thanks for posting it, it breaks the boredom of watching
mozilla compile in an xterm on my test box while it's running glxgears
(thought I had the beginnings of a test for X optimizations here, but X
is taking approx 50% of CPU, so the compile will take years)

 Actually, what bzip2 really needs is autoconf.  There was a guy on this
list early last year when bzip-1.0.2 came out who I think was interested
in that, but I can't remember who he was, and my drive with the emails
from that time died.

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org