Fixincludes - some analysis

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Jan 27 09:40:19 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:29:24PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> AFAIK, you're not supposed to use va_list without including stddef.h, so
> it would seem that the fix is completely uneffective for properly written
> programs (which may or may not be intentional). Does it depend on the
> order? What happens if you swap the 2 includes? If this changes the
> situation, my only conclusion is that whatever the fix does, it's broken.
> The va_list type should not depend on the order in which headers are
> included.

IIRC, C99 states that stdarg.h is what defines va_list, and it doesn't matter
what else you use, as long as you include stdarg.h.  Since I dont' have the
standard sitting right in front of me right now (in a computer lab, instead of
my dorm room), I can't be 100% sure.  But, a rough quoting from the standard
states "To access the arguments in a ... variable argument parameter list, use
the macros in stdarg.h" (or something to that effect).

-Justin
--
Registered Linux user 260206

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org