vi manpage (another stab)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 27 10:27:01 PST 2003

On January 25, 2003 07:09 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Expecting man vi to work is reasonable I s'pose...
>
> Lets not forget why we are here, and the goals of the project.

It could get touchy. Symlinks for sure are not an option. The gzip problem
mentioned earlier is one reason. The other problem: what if you go install
the real vi program at some point. It'll probably overwrite the vi.1 man page
but it's a link to vim.1 so you end up loosing your vim man page. That ain't
good.

The same can be said for the yacc and lex man pages, better make them real
files with ".so manx/real.x" in them.

I think we can find a middle ground. A man page for vi might be nice, I
wouldn't do one for sh though (not many people use sh directly, mostly only
shell scripts do for all the good reasons), or for the groff programs.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org