/usr/src/linux & /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 directories

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 27 12:12:25 PST 2003

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 10:45, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
>

>>Yes, and usually you compile modules for the running kernel and the path
>>to the running kernel has been for a long long time
>>/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build -- hence there is no need really to
>>symlink anything. Any apps that expect the sources in /usr/src/linux are
>>kindof broken.
>>

>So you're basically saying is that instead of unreasonably expecting the
>source of the currently running kernel to be accessible as
>/usr/src/linux or not present, these apps should have to make a guess at
>where your kernel source is by trying to use the uname command and then
>hope you've actually renamed your directory to match whatever it is.

Yep, I agree with Ronald; /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build is a symlink to
where the kernel was compiled and that is the link the apps should
follow to get the kernel source for the currently running kernel.

On my system:

    $ file /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
    /lib/modules/2.4.20/build: symbolic link to /usr/src/linux-2.4.20

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org