Major CVS LFS bug - binutils-2.13.2.1

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 14:42:08 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On January 27, 2003 02:46 pm, Chris Lingard wrote:
>> Just rebuilt gcc with echo "#define HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN 1" >>gcc/auto-host.h
>> and gcc looks OK
>>
>> This will have to be done in chapter5 and chapter6
>
> Hm, when I compiled my gcc-3.2.1 HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN 1 was arleady present in
> the auto-host.h file.
>
> And I though this was a kdelibs problem because its configure script isn't
> able to figure out the 4 digit version string of the ld program?

This is a gcc problem.  If you build the cvs system using:
gcc-3.2.1, glibc-2.3.1 and binutils-2.13.2.1    (Phew)
The building system uses these versions.

then gcc fails to detect the version of binutils and says
checking assembler hidden support... no

The bug is in gcc's configure, as Christian points out

This generates a broken gcc in chapter 5 and chapter 6

Greg diagnosed this fault in blfs-support, article kdelibs 3.1rc6,
that started on 10 January.  The above fault will cause KDE to
segfault.

If the current cvs is using the above packages, then it is creating
a broken system; that cannot work with applications such as KDE.

I suggest that this is very urgent.  You have at least three options

Revert to binutils-2.13.2.  gcc works with triplets
Put the HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN in chapter 5 and chapter 6
Think of another method to fix this

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org