/usr/src/linux & /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 directories

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 27 17:40:08 PST 2003

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

>  The first and most obvious being the case of kernels which were
>compiled monolithically being remarkably short of a /lib/modules
>directory.
>
>  The second being that this is only an indicator of where the kernel
>source the modules were built with is located, which, while a difference
>might be indicative of other problems, is not the same thing as the
>source of the currently installed kernel.  Pcmcia-cs is just one example
>of something that looks in /usr/src/linux for the source tree.
>
>The use of /usr/src/linux as a symlink is _not_ "broken".

I don't have anything against the symlink, I have it on my system coz it
is the most painless thing to do:) But the packages that require the
source to be in /usr/src/linux are broken (just as the packages that
need /usr/include/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/include/X11 symlink are).

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org