Major CVS LFS bug - binutils-2.13.2.1

Jack Brown jbrown at kmts.ca
Mon Jan 27 19:44:05 PST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:37:57 -0600, Jack Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:28:26 -0600, Greg Schafer wrote:
>

>> I still stand by what I said here:-
>>
>> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003/01/0399.html
>>
>> IMHO, the evidence is mounting against the FSF version. And Ian should
>> really gets his facts straight before sprouting off..
>>
>> Personally, I've made the move to the HJ release and haven't looked
>> back (yet! :-)
>>
>> Greg
>
> I guess one thing that strikes me is that the problem isn't even _with_
> binutils. the prpblem is with GCC.  My thinking is that the GCC
> maintainers shuld be fixing their configure script.  the guys who
> maintain GNU binutils didn't intorduce any new bug or anything.
>
> Jack Brown

I guess also on a more personal note, I also do some "Hurd from Scratch"
from time to time and I enjoy the fairly generic taste of LFS.  I guess
in my perfect world all that would be needed to transform LFS into Gnu
>From Scratch would be to switch kernels (headers) and pull out anything
obviously Linux centric (ie. util-linux).  I know that's not really
aplicable to _Linux_ From Scratch. but it is part of my own motivation.
Sort of like Ian's x86 centric vs. cross platform argument but from a
slightly different angle.  (this is also one reason I am looking forward
to the switch from LILO to GRUB)

Jack Brown
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org