/usr/src/linux & /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 directories

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Jan 28 02:48:39 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:29:55 +0000 (UTC)
tushar at linuxfromscratch.org (Tushar Teredesai) wrote:

Allow me to re-order the post slightly...

> >>It is ok to use /usr/src/linux as a fallback
> >>mechanism (in case the build symlink is invalid) but not as the
> >>default.
> >>
> >I disagree.
> >
> Would it not me more elegant and robust to use the above symlink
> rather than a fixed location?

You missed my point. the symlink should, of course, be there. I simply
say that it should be the PRIMARY method, not the fallback, because it
works in one crucial instance in which your:

> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build -> /usr/src/linux-`uname -r`

Fails.

Imagine you are running 2.4.19 and have JUST compiled and installed
2.4.20

you want to compile lm_sensors (or something).

the package uses uname, and compiles and installs for 2.4.19. oops!

with the symlink, it would have worked.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org