/usr/src/linux & /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 directories

Joerg W Mittag Joerg.Mittag at Web.De
Tue Jan 28 03:06:13 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:
>> Would it not me more elegant and robust to use the above symlink
>> rather than a fixed location?
> You missed my point. the symlink should, of course, be there. I
simply
> say that it should be the PRIMARY method, not the fallback, because
it
> works in one crucial instance in which your:
>
> > /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build -> /usr/src/linux-`uname -r`
>
> Fails.
>
> Imagine you are running 2.4.19 and have JUST compiled and installed
> 2.4.20
>
> you want to compile lm_sensors (or something).
>
> the package uses uname, and compiles and installs for 2.4.19. oops!
>
> with the symlink, it would have worked.

There has been a discussion on this topic on lkml just recently,
brought up by Olaf Titz (developer of the CIPE kernel module) for
exact the same reasons: the machine you're building the module on is
(at least in larger setups) very likely *not* the machine the module
will run on.

jwm

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org