Major CVS LFS bug - binutils-2.13.2.1

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 28 10:44:22 PST 2003

On January 28, 2003 02:53 am, Ian Molton wrote:
> A lot being how often? seriously, theres been a lot of fuss, but in
> recent memory, only TWO examples.

Two examples on the lfs-dev list yes. But I'm seeing similar problems (similar
in the sense of that gnu's version causes some problems that are fixed in
HJ's. Probably due to the reason it follows the CVS version of binutils so
fixes are available a lot sooner) on lists like the linux kernel mailinglist,
various posts linux user's groups that deal with kernel and QT and KDE
installations. I don't presume to understand the link problems that were
posted, let alone remember the exact details, but the gist of it was that GNU
binutils had some kind of bug that was fixed in the HJ release. After said
people switched to HJ, their program linked properly.

And no it wasn't a case where the installed GNU binutils was ancient that
simply upgrading to a new GNU version would also have fixed the problems.

But I think this point has been discussed to death now. We're all hung up on
the point that HJ's might not be stable enough in some peoples opinions. I
don't think the risk is all that great. And if somebody doesn't like the
choice (_IF_ it's going to be made, I have not made up my mind yet but will
soon to get some kind of fix in the book) you can always change it right?
It's your system not ours. And living a little bit on the edge never hurt
anybody either.

I am thinking seriously about changing over to HJ's release because I think
it's worth it. But I'll mull it over some more, first gotto join the Q3A
match and see how good Ian Molton really is ;o) Maybe getting beat up real
bad might clear up my mind.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org