/usr/src/linux & /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 directories

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 28 14:26:21 PST 2003

Jeremy Herbison wrote:

>In the sense that your system will compile just fine, then I agree it is
>not broken. In the sense that /usr/src/linux tends to get upgraded with
>the latest kernel, yet symlinks pointing to it should still be pointing
>to the version glibc and other packages were compiled against, its bad
>practice. I suppose you could use the symlinks, put your new kernel in
>/usr/src/linux-xx.yy.zz and leave the /usr/src/linux as your original
>kernel source but don't you agree that it's much messier than just not
>symlinking at all?

I agree with you 110%. My point was just becoz it is not done in *your*
way does not make it wrong. Messier, I agree.

Personally, I don't have symlinks from /usr/include and I have the
/usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 symlink. Whenever I recompile
glibc, I use the current kernel headers using the
--with-headers=/usr/src/linux and then copy over the kernel headers to
/usr/include when installing glibc.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/