Lessons to be learnt from recent events

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Jan 28 18:03:26 PST 2003

Hi

I think it worth mentioning that the recent fsckup with the gcc/binutils
thing could have been picked up much earlier had someone simply ran a "make
check" for glibc.

As someone who has taken pride in trying to improve the core of LFS, I feel
guilty that we let this slide for so long and thus caused pain to many
unsuspecting testers. My excuse is that I've been using the HJ binutils (but
that's a different can of worms :) and thus didn't notice the breakage.

It just goes to show how important the toolchain side of things is and how
tightly integrated binutils/gcc/glibc all are. Getting as far as kdelibs is
quite a big price to pay before realising the system is a bit broken. Lets
hope AC doesn't hear about this :-)

On a related note, I'll make mention here that Ryan Oliver and myself are
working on a new initiative to build a pure LFS. You might recall Ryan's
post from a few weeks back outlining some new ideas. It is essentially a new
angle on the build method focussing on building a correct toolchain. It will
initially take the form of a hint. We've been at it for a while now and will
hopefully have something concrete in a week or two.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org