Lessons to be learnt from recent events

Adam Trilling agt10 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 28 21:57:17 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Jack Brown wrote:

> Lately I've been using a method similar to what needs to be done when
> crosscompiling an install od GNU/Hurd from a Linux install. (or if you
> prefer cross compiling a Linux installation from FreeBSD or something
> similar). I feel it has a fair bit of potential and has the benifit that
> the method should be capable of working from almost any POSIX type host.
> (Imagine being able to build LFS from a copy of WinXP/Cygwin).  I also am
> currently hammering out my method as well.

I was actually just thinking about stuff like this.  I'm going to get an
old Sun box (a dual-processor Ultra 2) within the next few weeks, and one
of the things I want to try to do with it is cross-compile LFS from
Solaris.  If it works, wonderful.  At the very least, I'll learn a lot
about cross-compiling. :)

Has anyone ever done anything like this?  Or maybe a better question, has
anyone ever attempted anything like this?  Solaris and Linux are fairly
different (much more so than Hurd and Linux), but I know you can
cross-compile userspace applications between them...

/me realizes this is way offtopic and he'll probably have to subscribe to
lfs-chat to get any discussion on it :)

Adam Trilling
agt10 at columbia.edu
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org