Bootloaders (Was: Move to Grub)

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 29 21:01:05 PST 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 09:32 pm, Cameron Thorne wrote:
> Ian Molton wrote:
> > Here ya go...
> >
> > rm -rf grub*
> > cd lilo...
> >
> > Oh nevermind ;-)
>
> Hehe.  I agree.  Last I checked, GRUB didn't support software
> RAID for root and boot devices.  Until then, I'll stick with
> LILO (and bin86 and nasm.....).

Here's a motion to keep lilo AND grub in the book, and create a
separate chapter just for installing/configuring various
bootloaders.

Since we're so close to the next release, of course, it's a bit
much to worry about now--but we are planning to make the
"next-next" release more cross-platform, especially wrt non-x86
bootloaders like SILO, MILO, PALO, aboot, yaboot etc.  The more
I think about it, the more I think we need a separate chapter
for all this, and the more I think we need to address *all*
bootloaders.  Architectures like x86 and Alpha may have multiple
"alternative" bootloaders, but a lot of people choose a specific
alternative out of technical necessity rather than personal
preference.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"