Move to Grub

archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 21:38:50 PST 2003

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:200301291827.15768.gerard at linuxfromscratch.org...
> Let's come up with good Grub MBR installation instructions. Would
> anybody care to write the first draft of it? I want to have it done
> within the next two or three days, so I'll write it myself if
> necessary.

Well, I'm no writer, but here's my $.02.

There are _many_ things that can be disabled or enabled. By default, I
believe all supported filesystems are enabled. To configure for netboot,
you will probably have to enable your specific NIC.

./configure --prefix=/usr --datadir=/usr/share &&
make &&
make install &&
mkdir /boot/grub &&
cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage1 /boot/grub &&
cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage2 /boot/grub &&
ln -s grub.conf /boot/grub/menu.lst &&

cat >/boot/grub/grub.conf <<EOF
default=0
timeout=10

title LFS 4.0
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/$KERNEL_NAME ro root=/dev/xxx other_options
EOF

Grub counts drives and partitions starting with 0. Therefore hda1 is
(hd0,0). hdc5 would be (hd2,4) etc... Refencing the whole disk (useful
for writing the drive's MBR) is done the same way but without the 2nd
number. ex: hda is (hd0).

To write to the MBR, call grub from the command line. NOTE: If you are
not going to install to a floppy MBR then the option --no-floppy really
speeds things up. Once you are at the grub prompt, type 'root (hdx,x)'
where x,x is the drive and partition of your LFS. It will check for the
existence of the stage1 and stage2 files. After that type 'setup (hdx)'
to install the bootloader into the drives MBR. If you prefer installing
a partition MBR instead, the syntax would be 'setup (hdx,x)'

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org