Mktemp is not in the book

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Jan 29 23:22:59 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 09:32:00PM -0700, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On January 21, 2003 06:19 pm, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> > http://www.courtesan.com/mktemp/
>
> Okay guys some opinions. Add this package to the book or not?

(only looked at this for 15 mins so not an authority by any stretch)

I vote not.

This package won't make bzdiff & co work (they need tempfile). Symlinking
tempfile to mktemp probably won't work coz the -d & -p switches have
different meanings according to their respective manpages.

The mktemp version on the quoted website looks older than what is currently
included in Debian stable/testing/unstable and BSD. The mktemp in
debianutils is the same as the website one, just newer.

If we were to include anything, then the debianutils look like the go. But I
wouldn't install everything it provides, only the stuff we might need:-

mktemp
tempfile

Also provided in the debianutils is a nice version of which. Not wishing to
open (yet another :-) can of worms but this might be a good way to solve the
age old FAQ of where is which?

Some other stuff that might be useful:-

readlink    - display target of symbolic link on standard output
run-parts   - run scripts or programs in a directory
savelog     - save a log file

There is also some other stuff there that looks less interesting:-

installkernel
mkboot
sensible-{editor,pager}

And if you do include the debianutils in the book, I'd go for the version in
stable (woody). The newer versions have autoconf scripts and all manner of
bloat and get updated every other week so you'll be forever updating. To see
what I mean, grep the changelog's like so    grep "\-\-" changelog

the versions I looked at were:-

debianutils-1.16.2woody0
debianutils-2.1.4

One last thing, I found it rather ironic that the compile of mktemp.c went
like so:-

cc -O2 -g -Wall    tempfile.c   -o tempfile
tempfile.c:19:12: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
/tmp/ccIQ1DvF.o(.text+0x2a4): In function `main':
/root/temp/temp2/debianutils-1.16.2woody0/tempfile.c:112: the use of
`tempnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'

:-)

Oh, and this is definitely my last suggestion, instead of including
debianutils in the book (sounds bad), make a new package and call it
lfs-utils. Just include the bits you want. You could then sync up with
debian stable every so often.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org