Bootloaders (Was: Move to Grub)

alex at 22-music.com alex at 22-music.com
Thu Jan 30 03:11:01 PST 2003

On 30.01.03 11:06 +0000, Ian Molton wrote:

> > Here's a motion to keep lilo AND grub in the book, and create a
> > separate chapter just for installing/configuring various
> > bootloaders.
> >
> > Since we're so close to the next release, of course, it's a bit
> > much to worry about now--but we are planning to make the
> > "next-next" release more cross-platform, especially wrt non-x86
> > bootloaders like SILO, MILO, PALO, aboot, yaboot etc.
>
> Hehe. I guess we'll need one for !linux bootldr redboot ppcboot
> armboot...
>
> Nah. its too much for the book.
>
> One option is to leave the bootloader configuration out of the book
> altogether...
My Opinion, unworthy as it is:

Leaving out the bootloaders altogether is a bad idea. I know the book
is not meant for newbies, but I liked the policy of "as much information
as you need to do whatever you like". That doesn't mean "include all
about bootloaders", but more like "include a section about 1. which
bootloaders there are and 2. where to get information how to install
them (-> hints, BLFS)".

LX
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org