Mktemp is not in the book

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Jan 30 04:19:13 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
> >On January 21, 2003 06:19 pm, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> >>http://www.courtesan.com/mktemp/
> >>

> >Okay guys some opinions. Add this package to the book or not?
> >

> I don't know whether it should be in LFS or BLFS.
>
> Also in one of my previous e-mails I mentioned debianutils package. It
> has both tempfile and mktemp (and both are independent executables).
> Installation is the usual ./configure routine.

IIRC, tempfile was deprecated due to security issues. So it would seem
prudent to work towards some method of replacing it somehow. I'm not sure
this is 'our' job, though. Hmm, I wonder if the bz* folks have an open
item to address this issue.

Also, I see Greg's post about the courtesan version having a reliance on
tempnam when it has essentially the same security concern. Do you know
if the Debian version (hopefully) uses the mkstemp call?

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org