Bootloaders (Was: Move to Grub)

Edward Pinski pinskie at physics.uc.edu
Thu Jan 30 08:19:22 PST 2003

On Thursday, Jan 30, 2003, at 10:24 US/Eastern, Kelledin wrote:

> On Thursday 30 January 2003 09:20 am, Justin Hibbits wrote:
>>> I had sugested this several months ago, and someone (I can't
>>> remember who) really liked this idea:
>>>
>>> - Remove bin86 & lilo from Chapter 6.
>>> - On chapter 8, add a section called "compiling a boot
>>> loader" informing the reader about lilo and grub and having
>>> them select one or the other. - Add two sections: lilo, and
>>> grub.
>>> - Under the "lilo" section, place bin86, nasm, and lilo for
>>> compilation and instructions on how to set it up.
>>> - Under the "grub" section, add instructions for building
>>> grub, configuring it, and installing it.
>>>
>>> That way readers can make up their own mind and you avoid
>>> the war altogether.
>>
>> Sounds sensible enough.  You have my vote :)  Btw...if anyone
>> else (Kelledin) can, install some of the other bootloaders for
>> various hardware, and write up a page for those, maybe Gerard
>> can add those to the book as well.
>
> Well, I've contributed bits for aboot (Alpha boot loader), but
> they won't be in the forthcoming release--expect them to be in a
> later release.  I may get around to doing MILO soon, but the
> incentive to try MILO just isn't there atm.

My vote is, whatever, I feel that Gerard should choose it.  This topic
has been beat to death, just drop it, and let Gerard do what he wants.
I dislike grub, but whatever, I don't really care anyway.  And if we
did do sections, and added non-x86 bootloaders to it, we might as well
make the whole book work with everything, rather than just the 1
section.

Pinski

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org