Bootloaders (Was: Move to Grub)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Jan 30 10:20:25 PST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 alex at 22-music.com wrote:

> Leaving out the bootloaders altogether is a bad idea. I know the book
> is not meant for newbies, but I liked the policy of "as much information
> as you need to do whatever you like". That doesn't mean "include all
> about bootloaders", but more like "include a section about 1. which
> bootloaders there are and 2. where to get information how to install
> them (-> hints, BLFS)".
>
> LX

 I almost wrote that maybe this would be a good point in the book at
which to get people choosing from BLFS, but that would make LFS too
incomplete.  Given that Gerard wants to go to grub, maybe we could have
some comments on the grub page along the lines of

 (i) on some architectures you *need* different bootloaders - links to
BLFS (hopefully), or to any hints.

and

 (ii) a note that some people prefer other bootloaders even on x86, with
a link to hint(s) for lilo and any other alternatives.

 Plus the small matter of people writing BLFS pages or hints.

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org