Lessons to be learnt from recent events

Arjan Oosting ajoostin at students.cs.uu.nl
Thu Jan 30 12:21:04 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On January 28, 2003 07:03 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
>
>>I think it worth mentioning that the recent fsckup with the gcc/binutils
>>thing could have been picked up much earlier had someone simply ran a "make
>>check" for glibc.
>

> Maybe it's time we start adding 'make check' commands to the book then, for
> those packages where it's possible.
Hi, i've added "make check" to the build instructions of a lot of
packages in my buildscripts. But some packages fail, and i don't know
whether this might be a problem or not. Maybe you know if i should worry
about the results.

gcc 3.2.1:
Fails in some g++ tests and some libstdc++-v3 test
	(should have kept a log :( )
This seems fairly innocent, after reading documentation, they don't
expect all tests to pass.

binutils 2.13.2.1:
Fails in one ld-bootstrap test:
	FAIL: bootstrap with --static
This might be a bigger problem? But I'm not really into ld ;)

grep  2.5:
Fails in two tests:
	Spencer test #55 failed
	FAIL: spencer1.sh

	FAIL: backref.sh
I was a little be suprised, because last time i checked make check
output (couple months ago), some other test failed and these two
succeeded. I will look at this failure again when I've time.

perl 5.8.0:
Fails in 3 tests:
	ext/Socket/Socket....................FAILED at test 2
	lib/Net/hostent......................FAILED at test 2
	lib/Net/t/hostname...................FAILED at test 1
Seems fairly innocent, we can't expect networking to work in
a chroot, can we.

all these make check's are done in chapter 6, and i've compiled with
cflag and cxxflag set to "-02 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686", i will try i
build without any optimalization soon, but that will take some time.

Greetings Arjan Oosting

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org