Lessons to be learnt from recent events

Miguel Bazdresch miguel at thewizardstower.org
Fri Jan 31 12:04:16 PST 2003

* Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> [03-0130 13:04]:
> Ok, it seems there is a fair bit of interest afterall.
>
> Unfortunately, I need to eat, and to eat I need to earn bucks, and this is
> really getting in the way of LFS hacking :-)
>
> I've attached the draft hint intro that we wrote which might give interested
> folk some clarity about all this stuff.
>
> The reason for the hint suggestion is this is a fairly drastic change and I
> figured it would be best to let it bed down in a hint (much like MSB did
> with his keep separate hint) before trying to get it into the book.
>
> Greg

Two questions occurred to me out of the blue:

1. Have you guys, just out of curiosity, compared the binaries (kernel,
glibc, gcc, other packages) produced by the book and those produced with
your method?

2. In order to have a really "pure", "pristine" toolchain, one whose
integrity no senior kernel hacker can doubt, shouldn't we be building
the kernel with the gcc version recommended by them (2.95.3 as of
2.4.19, if I'm not mistaken)?

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/