Minor binutils annoyance

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Jan 31 21:11:57 PST 2003

Hi

Probably not worth mentioning, but.. what the hell!

CC="gcc -s"  causes the Ch 5 static binutils to miss out on being compiled
with O2. Ironically, this results in a faster binutils build, but not sure
what impact it has on the rest of the build, probably nothing.

I noticed this with binutils-2.13.2 during my latest round of testing. HJ's
release seems to be immune.

I've always thought the CC="gcc -s" thing, while quite nifty, is actually a
bit of a hack and could possibly be done a bit more tastefully by putting
the -s in the LDFLAGS where it belongs.

On a sidenote, the latest HJ binutils-2.13.90.0.18 reflect the latest
changes to the top level of the GNU tools build system. What this means in
practicality is that invoking configure only does a quick configure in the
top dir i.e. none of the subdirs (bfd, gas, ld etc) get configured. They
get configured during the make run. Unfortunately this breaks the LFS
build:-

checking for gcc... gcc -s
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -s -g -O2 -all-static) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
make: *** [configure-intl] Error 1

Obviously, the "-all-static" is fscking it up. The workaround is to do a:-

make configure-host

before the:-

make LDFLAGS=-all-static

so that all the subdirs get configured first.

When I see stuff like this, I start to lean back towards the stable FSF
binutils for LFS. Wish I could make up my mind! :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org