[TWEAK] - gcc defaults

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 07:12:54 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:06:24 +0000 (UTC)
gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) wrote:
> Want your gcc to emit pentium4 code by default (same as if
> -march=pentium4 was passed on the gcc command line) without futzing
> around with CFLAGS? Easy, just add this to your gcc configure
> arguments when building gcc:-
>
> --with-arch=pentium4

<snip>
> Just so it's clear, this changes only the DEFAULTS. i.e. specifying
> -march and -mcpu on the gcc commandline still works exactly like
> before.

Nifty stuff although I wonder how much of an effect this would really
have.  IIRC a lot of LFS packages pre-define CFLAGS in their
makefiles already which would negate the effect of the patch, thus
requiring the CFLAGS to be overridden anyway, right?

Thanks for the headsup :)

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org