gzip 1.3.5 install

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 28 18:51:08 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>I suppose one could say there is. Personally I don't really mind a few
>more files being there, but it may not be the best thing to do afterall.

Ditto.

Actually I suggested the --bindir option in response to the OP's
suggestion about using make bindir=/bin. I never meant for it to be in
the book.

>So, leave things the way they are or change things slighty anyways, like
>so:
>
>make install
>mv /usr/bin/{gzip,gzunip,uncompress,zcat} /bin

I would suggest doing it the other way around, install with
--bindir=/bin and then move unneeded files to /usr/bin. That way the
gzexe sed hack can be removed.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/