Pure LFS / Next LFS Release

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 2 11:52:46 PDT 2003

On May 28, 2003 09:29 am, Jouko Orava wrote:
> Gerard, do you think such a tool would be useful for the book?

I think patches are a better way to go. I agree with what Greg said about the
book not being a glorified shell script. In the interest of keeping things
simple, making certain assumptions (such as the /stage1 name-to-be and
patches that assume this directory name as well) will make it much easier to
support. If we go introducing variables and shell functions needed to fix the
GCC installation, there are bound to be more support questions, mistakes made
and so on.

I also get the feeling that some kind of tool to make these changes hides
things more than people doing it manually on a per-package basis with sed, or
a patch. The more hands-on approach is more in line with what the LFS book
aims at: teaching.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org