3 new bug patches for bash2.05b

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 3 11:00:23 PDT 2003

On June 2, 2003 09:09 pm, you wrote:
> I think for consistency we should use the "official" patches, do we really
> want to maintain patches which are already maintained?

No we don't want to do that. It's folly, really.

Maybe instead of using the new mega patch might as well do the right thing and
move to use the separate patches. A bit more work, but if we do it now, or
later doen't matter one bit.

This raises another question:
the book can contain 7 patch commands, or a construction like:

for patchfile in ../bash-2.05b*patch; do
	patch -Np1 -i $patchfile
done

Certainly less to type, and I expect the majority of people apply all patches,
especially when it comes to the official patches by maintainers themselves.

But, if we do the 7 separate commands, we have a nice chance to actuallly
expain what the patches do. It's temporary educational value (they'[ll be
removed with the next bash upgrade), but valuable nonetheless.

In light of that, I would say going the multi patch command route is more in
line with what the LFS book tries to accomplish of course. But that should
always be evaluated within reason, hence this email. Comment if you have
something useful to add.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org