Patches Project [Was Re: 3 new bug patches for bash2.05b]

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Tue Jun 3 13:30:48 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>I expect the majority of people apply all patches,
>especially when it comes to the official patches by maintainers themselves.
>
>But, if we do the 7 separate commands, we have a nice chance to actuallly
>expain what the patches do. It's temporary educational value (they'[ll be
>removed with the next bash upgrade), but valuable nonetheless.
>
>In light of that, I would say going the multi patch command route is more in
>line with what the LFS book tries to accomplish of course. But that should
>always be evaluated within reason, hence this email. Comment if you have
>something useful to add.

I am back in business having settled down at a new place:) I would like
to revive the discussion on the patches project that we discussed
sometime back. If the project takes off, then the book could only
include the patches that are absolutely essential (security patches,
patches that prevent compilation, etc.) and the other patches could be
relegated to patches project.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org