CVS 20030513: remove CFLAGS munging from chapter 6 zlib-1.1.4

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 3 22:35:44 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 05:06 pm, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On May 21, 2003 06:24 pm, you wrote:
> > It fixes errors on alpha builds (gp-relative relocation
> > issue) as mentioned described on "Kelledin's page of
> > Linux-Alpha tweaks"
> > http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/alpha-lfs/alpha.html
>
> What fixes errors on alpha builds? The CFLAGS munging, or the
> removal of CFLAGS munging?

This is...sticky.

Shared zlib will not compile on alpha without -fPIC.

If you set CFLAGS in your environment while compiling zlib, you
need to do CFLAGS munging to make sure zlib links with -fPIC.

If you do not set CFLAGS in your environment while compiling
zlib, -fPIC will be included without CFLAGS munging.  However,
you'll miss out on CPU-specific opts.

My little suggestion for zlib months ago sort of assumed that
people will be setting CFLAGS, since most LFSers seem to do
that.  Really, I see now that it wasn't such a good assumption
to make. :(

We probably just ought to stick a note in there: "If CFLAGS is
set in your environment, make sure -fPIC is included in the
CFLAGS."  Then dispense with CFLAGS munging.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org