3 new bug patches for bash2.05b

James Robertson jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 07:14:43 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On June 2, 2003 09:09 pm, you wrote:
>
> <snip...>
>
> In light of that, I would say going the multi patch command route is more in
> line with what the LFS book tries to accomplish of course. But that should
> always be evaluated within reason, hence this email. Comment if you have
> something useful to add.

Even though applying 7 individual patches will slow a reader down, the
potential educational value is immense.  Taking some time to explain the
reason for and bug(s) fixed in each patch will provide a lot of good
information to any reader (even somewhat experienced Linux user's).
Never underestimate the value you can learn from others that know more.
    The difference between programmers running LFS and sysadmins runing
LFS is their understanding of system programming.  A sysadmin (like me)
can benefit from reading about the patches written by a programmer "in
the know" and use that knowledge going forward.

Don't script it out, explain each one and do this for _every_ patch in
the book!

My $0.02

James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Reg. LFS User:   #6981    http://www.linuxfromscatch.org