CVS 20030513: remove CFLAGS munging from chapter 6 zlib-1.1.4

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 09:20:58 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On June 3, 2003 11:35 pm, you wrote:
>> We probably just ought to stick a note in there: "If CFLAGS is
>> set in your environment, make sure -fPIC is included in the
>> CFLAGS."  Then dispense with CFLAGS munging.
>
> Okay understood. But the usual "if you optimize by setting CFLAGS you're
> at your own mercy. Unset the vars and try again" disclaimer still applies.
> We can put in that disclaimer somewhere in a prominent spot (start of
> chapter 5 maybe, or chapter 2, though it seems people often skip that
> chapter)

As a matter of interest this is how I build zlib, and still allow
for CFLAGS to be set

if [ '$CFLAGS' ]; then CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIC";echo $CFLAGS; fi  &&
patch -Np1 -i  ../zlib-1.1.4-final-vsnprintf.patch  &&
./configure  --prefix=/usr  --shared  &&
make &&
make install &&
mv /usr/lib/libz.so.* /lib &&
ln -sf ../../lib/libz.so.1 /usr/lib/libz.so &&
cp zlib.3 /usr/share/man/man3

I do not build libz.a; never found anything that need it

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org