Ch5: "Locking in" glibc, Ch6: Adjusting toolchain

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Wed Jun 4 11:50:43 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 12:16, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Well, that should be giving a reason to read some man pages, or other
> documentation, so you do understand what's being done, and why.  Anyone
> can blindly follow commands, but with LFS its important to know what is
> being done, and WHY it's being done.

I am not taking a strong stand here.
But for the sake of saving one line we are increasing the height of an already
big learning curve that folks still relatively new to *nix have to climb i.e.
regular expressions (in this case a single line replacement of two simple
substitution lines).  I think regex a wonderful thing and will be doing a
regex presentation to the local LUG in August.  I just don't see the value in
adding to all the other learning curves that a person absolutely has to
climbed in order to successfully complete LFS and comprehend what they have
done.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,