Ch5: "Locking in" glibc, Ch6: Adjusting toolchain

The Cheeze cheeziologist at attbi.com
Wed Jun 4 13:44:02 PDT 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:15:57 -0400 (EDT), Bill's LFS Login
<lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:

<snip>

> As you are aware, small doses of new knowledge of limited scope are more
> easily assimilated (resistance is futile) than huge amounts which have
> no foundation upon which one can build.
>
> If the shorter sed commands are used, and a single line of explanatory
> text accompanies it, the new user learns a small distinct bit of
> knowledge that is immediately used (and so reinforced) without having to
> "go to the book" and reading all about sed/regex. Hopefully, that also
> whets the new user's appetite to know more.

I couldn't agree more. Even though now with my current level of knowledge I
could understand the shortened sed command, when I first built LFS my
knowledge going in to the project was how to compile, make, shell script
(slightly), and use apt-get. I did LFS because I wanted to learn and I
wanted more direct control over what was running and installed on my
system. I don't think some one going in to LFS like I did would learn from
the shortened sed command but would be able to learn from the longer one.
Again, though, just my $.02.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182