add --enable-languages flag to gcc instructions

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Fri Jun 6 13:03:33 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>
>> How about adding an --enable-languages flag to gcc configure? Someone
>> who follows the book and downloads only gcc-core will still get only
>> the required languages but will prevent problems for users who
>> download the complete gcc package.
>
> Yes, this is becoming a bit of a FAQ lately. And we all know/assume
> that FAQ's are mostly due to reader errror/inability/lack of
> knowledge, they are also a clear indicator of the the book's
> shortcoming presentation of information.

I won't exactly call it a shortcoming of the book. The book clearly
mentions downloading only gcc-core.

But many need the complete gcc package for additional languages (I
personally need fortran and java) so it makes sense for some people to
download the entire package. Adding the above configure switch will help
those users, but at the same time won't inconvinience users who only
download gcc-core.

If extensive changes would have been required to accomodate the
"not-following-the-book" users, I would not have proposed it.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar