bug in lfs book 4.1

Badri Pillai badri at pillai.de
Fri Jun 6 23:06:08 PDT 2003

Hi all,

First of all I would like to tahnks all the people who contributed
for the great online book.

Just following step by step, I made my first linux distro.

I found two small missing info.

1) to test network, when I used ping, I got the following error:
   ping: unknown protocol icmp.

   fix: install /etc/protocols from available distro (SuSE, RedHat,etc)
        OR download one from
          http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers

2) During syslog daemon startup failed, may also affect other daemons.
   fix: install /etc/services from available distro (SuSE, RedHat,etc)
        OR download one from

Questions: I'm thinking of makeing RPM packages for this book,
   if its already done by someone, please let me know

IF I ovelooked these hints in your book, then please ignore this message.

Regards,

badri at ii-consult.com
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org