add --enable-languages flag to gcc instructions

dgoff3 at cox.net dgoff3 at cox.net
Sat Jun 7 18:33:08 PDT 2003

> I agree with keeping the books intended
> audience.  I knew nothing about using linux
> before I embarked on LFS, it was a very steep
> learning curve and took me three attempts
> before I was satisfied with my system.
> If the bar was lower, I'd know a lot less about
> linux than I do now.  If the book was 'LFS for
> Dummies', I'd still be posting to the lists
> everytime I tried to install something - fighting
> with an OS I don't understand.
> Dumbing down the book will probably lead to
> more traffic on lfs-support in the long run.

I totally agree.  I knew very little about Linux before I started LFS.  I'll even admit that I asked on IRC one night where I had to run the ./configure command while installing the packages.  LFS is a respectable project, and I think it's reputation alone will attract newbies as well as experienced users.

> Having said that, I think the LFS could be
> improved by little more detail for the flag and
> patch descriptions.
> Simply stating that the nofixincludes patch for
> gcc prevents gcc from checking the include's,
> and that gcc fixes includes because different
> vendors sometimes use non-ANSI complient
> headers goes a long way to better learning, and
> increases confidence as to what the hell is
> going on when your following the book on blind
> faith.
> Adding important flags like --enable-languages
> can only help educate, which is what I thought
> LFS was all about.
> An appendix page, perhaps?
>
> I learned enough from building LFS to compile
> Xfree(with a bit of help from the nice people on
> blfs-support to get it working), and install
> applications like xpdf, opera, etc.  In fact LFS
> has made me so familiar with linux, I have to
> smack myself in the head when I try to 'ls' or
> 'rm' in a dos-box.
> If someone doesn't understand linux enough to
> try a blfs project then LFS to them is just
> another distro they have to fight to use, they
> haven't learned anything from the book.
> What might be of more help is references to
> package documentation, encourage people to
> read the documentation and work it out
> themselves.  I know that documentation can
> often be confusing and limited, but learning to
> cope with that is part of learning to use linux.

I'm all for adding documentation links.  The more you can educate the users, the better off they will be.  I'm thankful for what LFS has taught me, because now I'm using RH9 and have no problem doing things like installing from tarballs and setting up my network. I've put LFS on the back burner for the time being; I'm waiting until the CVS version is released as a stable version.  In the meantime I'm going to convert my Windows XP box to RedHat. A lot of times even finding the documentation is a challenge.  Perhaps even adding English-language (read here: clearer) translations of many of the difficult-to-read man pages or websites.

JM2C,

Dan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org