bug in lfs book 4.1

The Cheeze cheeziologist at attbi.com
Sun Jun 8 13:04:57 PDT 2003

On Sat,  7 Jun 2003 08:06:08 +0200, Badri Pillai <badri at pillai.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
> First of all I would like to tahnks all the people who contributed for
> the great online book.
> Just following step by step, I made my first linux distro.
> I found two small missing info.
> 1) to test network, when I used ping, I got the following error: ping:
> unknown protocol icmp.
> fix: install /etc/protocols from available distro (SuSE, RedHat,etc) OR
> download one from http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers
> 2) During syslog daemon startup failed, may also affect other daemons.
> fix: install /etc/services from available distro (SuSE, RedHat,etc) OR
> download one from http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
> Questions: I'm thinking of makeing RPM packages for this book,  if its
> already done by someone, please let me know
> IF I ovelooked these hints in your book, then please ignore this message.
> Regards,
> badri at ii-consult.com

There are instructions in the 4.1 book at the end of the install of netkit
and in the cvs book i believe the files are included in lfs-utils. I have
heard of a few people on these lists doing lfs rpms but i don't know if
anyone made them public. Ther is, however, an rpm hint at
hints.linuxfromscratch.org on how to use rpm with lfs as a package manager.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org