add --enable-languages flag to gcc instructions

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Sun Jun 8 22:31:56 PDT 2003

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2003 13:53, Erika Pacholleck wrote:
>
>>>This isn't a bad idea. Maybe a mention should be made that nearly all
>>>packages have a README and/or INSTALL text file that gives more
>>>information about (building) the package. (It that already in the book?)
>>
>>To my mind people who have to be told, that the source directory contains
>>documentation, are hardly the intended audience of LFS.
>

> I completely agree with this statement. But the three doubly quoted lines
> above will reduce the volume of mail from newbies, and that's not too much
> work.
>
> Another suggestion is to put the links to the most relevant FAQs to the top of
> some packages (like why-not-version for flex and inputrc for bash).

That's not a valid suggestion, because the FAQ is meant to be a
fall-back mechanism for the most frequently encountered problems when
someone does _not_ follow the book. In other words, the book is
internally consistent with itself assuming no deviations are made, and
thus references to documentation _outside_ the book's range do not
belong in the book. While it's a completely innocent request,
referencing the FAQ like that in the book would actually suggest the
book is wrong or not complete without the FAQ.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org