FAQ/ audience

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Mon Jun 9 02:40:29 PDT 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 11:28, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> I'm not trying to suggest LFS is insufficient wrt. its intended
> audience, I'm trying to suggest it's intended audience and it's actual
> audience are not clear from the book.

Maybe we should put some objective criteria (e.g. required skills) to the
book. E.g. a person who did not recompile at least his/her distribution
kernel will probably be disappointed with LFS.

> Yes, of course, I meant with that line that the books structure _does_
> allow and include newbies, who are after all more than capable of
> reading and following the book; they just don't understand what they're
> doing. I'd like the book to move more in a direction where one has to
> understand what they're doing in order to be able to proceed (like BLFS).

I do follow this thread, but since I am not a newbie, I fail to understand
what makes BLFS book unsuitable for newbies. This should be explained to me
by means of words.

> Yes I see that. I should refine my point by saying that the book should
> be more difficult for newbie's than it is right now, thus more properly
> reflecting the intended and assumed audience. Also, more mechanisms
> should be built in for excluding it's non-intended audience. A more
> proper "whonotread" page is in order, along with more pointers to other
> good tutorials so people who lack the appropriate skill level can do so.
> Integrating the "prereading" hint is in order.

And maybe even a short exam on the web page (didn't pass => don't read the
book)

> (confusion being the "fbbg rule" vs. the "LFS is a guide, not a rule"
> domga's)

I agree. Maybe: "The authors of the book know that there must be no problems
when the book is followed exactly. Before asking questions about unexpected
results of deviation, check that the book's way of doing things is correct.
Mails to th esupport lists without indication of that will probably meet
negative attitude."

> I think the actual percentage doesn't matter as much as the question
> *why* the book continually fails to adress or defer or redirect these
> people to more appropriate documentation, and why they do not find the
> FAQ but do find the support groups.

A dragon's solution: mention the mailing lists at the _end_ of the FAQ and
nowhere else.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org